The Army Story – The Abbott and Costello Show season 1, originally aired January 23, 1953
- Lou lets Hillary think that he’s going away to the Army … and gets a goodbye kiss from Hillary Brooke! Of course, when she discovers that he’s only going a few blocks away, she’s less tender.
- Joe plays jump rope with Stinky (Joe Besser) “one last time”.
- Lou runs into Mike the Cop (Gordon Jones) on the way out of the apartment building … literally.
- There’s no need to say goodbye to Mr. Bacciagalupe (Joe Kirk) since he’s also going into the National Guard. In fact, he’s there for the dice routine and hits Lou in the hide with his rifle multiple times in the drilling routine later on.
- Lou Costello “proves” that 28 / 7 = 13 to Sid Fields, as he pays off their back room rent, $7/week for 13 weeks, for $28
- Dice routine
- Drilling routine
Bud: Your uncle was in the last war?
Lou: He was right where the bullets were the thickest!
Lou: Hiding under the ammunition truck!
Bud: Costello, is this one of your relatives?
Lou: Mine are living!
Corporal Bud: What did you say?
Lou: I was talkin’ to myself.
Corporal Bud: Don’t talk so loud.
Lou: I have to hear what I’m sayin’ … [Bud slaps him]
Cast of characters
- Bud Abbott … Bud Abbott
- Lou Costello … Lou Costello
- Hillary Brooke (Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd) … Hillary Brooke
- Gordon Jones (McLintock!) … Mike Kelly
- Sid Fields (Mexican Hayride) … Sid Fields
- Joe Kirk … Mr. Bacciagalupe
- James Alexander … Captain
- Robert Cherry … Schultz–Nervous Soldier
- Joe Besser (Africa Screams) … Stinky Davis (uncredited)